Sunday 17 April 2011

london dresses


Just back from a few lovely days in London, only to find the weather in Stockholm being even lovelier this weekend. I was too tired (yesterday) and busy (today) to spend as much time outside as I should have, but what can you do. It seems spring is here to stay now, so hopefully I will get plenty of more chances for outdoors activities soon enough. For the warmer days I got two vintage summer dresses in Shoreditch, where I ran in and out of every vintage shop we passed. I didn’t have much time, and wasn’t really looking for anything special, but didn’t want to come home without anything vintage, so these are basically two things I really liked the look of and grabbed without trying them on. This first one is polyester, and I could tell it needs some fitting on the upper part, to fit me better, but can also be used with a vest underneath and a belt I guess. If I’m lazy, which sometimes is the case more often than I would like to admit.



But I feel in love with the print and the width of the skirt, and it only cost 15 pounds (about 150 kronor or rand at the moment, because the currency rate is very favorable!). I’m guessing it’s from the 70’s, or maybe 80’s. This was my first visit to Shoreditch, and apart from us being there on the wrong day, for all the markets in the area, I liked what I saw. This was the first time in London since 1999, a long time away indeed. I doubt I’ll wait that long again, I kinda feel back in love with the city.



This dress is one of my favorite styles, and I’ve already got a few similar ones and worn them so much during summers. Two of them are left behind in Durban though, so I thought I might as well get a new one to keep in Stockholm. The shop keeper was a bit amazed that I didn’t want to try it on before buying it, but I assured him I was a professional vintage shopper and knew it would fit. And it did, prefectly, and I foresee this being my favorite summer dress of 2011.



It’s cotton, and I love the pockets and the many different sizes of polka dots on the maroon background. Usually these dresses are German, but this one didn’t have any original tags on, so I’m not sure where it is from, but I do think it’s from the 70’s at least. Just like me.

No comments: