Wednesday 15 February 2012

swept away by shweshwe


A little bit too late in our Durban stay I thought it would be a good idea to buy some shweshwe material and bring back to Sweden, possibly for making cushion covers. Ideally we would have visited one of the bigger stores in the city, but didn’t have time for that, so a smaller store in Chatsworth had to do. They actually had a nice selection, so I got a few metres to at least get me started. Now I just need a sewing machine ... In this first picture is also a very pretty notebook I got at Exclusive Books, and a nice brooch from African Arts Centre. Very, very matchy, no?


I think this one would make a very nice cushion cover, but I am pretty sure it would also make a really cute blouse too, so we’ll see what it ends up as.




Tiny trees in abundance! All dressed in the orange shade of autumn I love so much.




This is very classic shweshwe in my outsider opinion, and a little bit too dark for cusions but maybe a tote bag? Knowing myself though, these fabrics risk being left in the pile of sewing projects I rarely get to. One reason is because I don’t in fact have a sewing machine, but even if I did I’d be a bit scared to use it. That just has to change!


No comments: