Thursday 17 March 2011

su blackwell: paper queen


A good friend with excellent taste recently introduced me to the awesome paper cutting art of Su Blackwell. She’s a British artist and art director, and truly excels in paper cutting, predominantly working by hand, using a scalpell to create her beautiful and intricate pieces. She likes working within the realms of fairytales and folklore, and I particularly love her book sculptures.

In her own words: ”For the cut-out illustrations, I tend to lean towards young-girl characters, placing them in haunting, fragile settings, expressing the vulnerability of childhood, while also conveying a sense of childhood anxiety and wonder. There is a quiet melancholy in the work, depicted in the material used, and choice of subtle colour.”











I wish I will get to see these in real life one day, to even more appreciate the handicraft and details up close. For now I will just be grateful that I was pointed in Su Blackwell’s direction at all, and admire her work from afar.

Also, I might get my hands on this book once it gets out, it looks very promising indeed.

No comments: